When one thinks of spring menus this favorite recipe comes to mind. It is simple to make, very healthy and it has two of spring's favorite vegetables, asparagus and peas. Since the asparagus goes into the mix raw, you'll want to look for the freshest, most tender spears you can find and slice them into very thin rounds. Happy eating!
- 2 teaspoons freshly-grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup canola oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups very thinly-sliced fresh asparagus, (about 1 bunch or approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Combine lemon zest and juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl.
- Add lettuce, asparagus, peas, tomatoes and chives (or scallion greens); toss to coat.