November 13th marked an important milestone for Au Bon Pain: one year of operation in the Hesburgh Library. The cafe commemorated its birthday with a week long celebration that included daily specials, trivia contests and old fashioned birthday fun. On their actual birthday, customers received free cupcakes and Au Bon Pain novelties, offered well wishes and thanks on giant birthday cards, and dined surrounded by streamers, confetti and balloons.
Mark King, Associate Director for Retail Operations in Notre Dame Food Services, shared, “We wanted to celebrate not only with our loyal customers at ABP, but also with our partners in the Hesburgh Library, as they celebrate their 50th anniversary. After all, Au Bon Pain was part of the Library’s vision to continue to meet the changing needs of students and faculty.”
A few interesting facts about Au Bon Pain's first year:
· From approval to customers – 16 weeks (renovation plans, budgets, funding, equipment ordering, hiring, training happened from mid-July, 2012 to November 13, 2012)
· Well over 300,000 transactions happened during year one
· Over 140,000 pieces of pastry and baked goods were sold
· Roughly 50 students and 25 community members work at the café
· Over 450 gallons of coffee are served during finals week